Overcoming Adversity: It’s an all too common topic. Life knocks all of us down once in a while. But what we do about it, that’s what matters.
Life is a wonderful thing – music, relationships, boundless beauty – these do not even scratch the surface of its wonder. But every so often life has a way of punching us in the gut, knocking us down and then kicking us, hard! Overcoming adversity is a challenge ALL of us will face at one time or another.
That doesn’t mean it’s easy. It may seem obvious that picking yourself up, brushing yourself off and moving on would be the thing to do but it’s not that simple. Many issues come into play, most of which are emotional in nature.
It is not uncommon for an individual that has maybe lost his or her job to struggle with depression. We are attempting to understand why it happened. A sudden illness or death of a loved one can leave us feeling vulnerable and lost.
The most important thing for individuals to understand is that is is not what happens in life but how we deal with what happens that matters.
Writer William Authur Ward said, “Adversity causes some men to break and others to break records” The process of “what you do about it” is certainly the issue when life knocks us down.
There are several key steps that must be taken into account when overcoming the blows of disappointment in one’s life:
- You must find some way of letting go of the anger, sorrow or disappointment. As long as these are part of your heart you will never be able to move on.
- Moving on is the next important step. Moving on can be particularly difficult when the vale of darkness that can come from the above issues sneak back into your mind.
- Reset new goals and make a plan to re-invent yourself as soon as possible. Many times that which seems insurmountable in actuality can be the begining of a whole new life, possibly one you have always wanted but were afraid to make the move.
- Find an advisor, mentor or coach to talk things through and many time you will discover that you are not alone. Many people have gone through the hardships of life and survived.
- Work to stay inspired, excited and positive. This can be very difficult but is simply a choice you must make.
Here is an article you may enjoy from Psychology Today – “The Secrets to Overcoming Any Setback.” https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-squeaky-wheel/201407/the-secret-overcoming-any-setback
When you wake up in the morning there is no telling what may confront you, this is life. What you decide to do about these issues is the key to working through them. You can overcome! Check out this previous post: https://bobfiacco.com/get-inspired/overcome-life-pitfalls/
I invite you to schedule a FREE chat with me below to learn more about coaching and how it can propel you forward in your personal and professional life!
Schedule a free consult call with Bob Fiacco here: